Vanilla Ice Cream with a KitchenAid
by: Michael Gruar on
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 600ml full cream milk
- 600ml cream
- 1 Vanilla bean -split and scraped.
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup (160g) castor sugar
- In a heavy based, non-stick saucepan, place the milk, cream and vanilla bean, stirring occasionally, until hot, without boiling. Remove the vanilla bean.
- Place egg yolks and sugar into mixer bowl and attach wire wipe, Mix on Speed 2 for 1 minute or until thick and pale.
- Slowly add milk mixture, stirring until well combined. Pour the mixture back in to the saucepan, stirring constantly over low heat, cook for about 4~5 minutes, until mixture thickens and lightly coats back of a silicon spatula. Take care not to overheat and curdle. Place custard mixture into and airtight jug, refrigerate until well chilled, about 6-8 hours.
- Assemble KitchenAid ice cream bowl as per instruction book. The freezer bowl needs to be very cold.
- Churn mixture about 25 ~30 minutes, a firm soft serve ice cream results.
- Transfer the ice cream into an airtight container to store in the freezer.
*Keep the KitchenAid ice cream bowl in the freezer. Always ready for use
Recipe by Anthea Livingstone